3.04.2002

Okay, now I have that Australian song in my head and it is slowly driving me insane. Thanks Joe! "Forms of life as "patterns of regularity" into which we settle." This has a striking limitation. It "works" for forms of life that are preconstituted and that we are either born into or happen upon. Can we initiate a form of life? This will be a question to ponder as we read further on.

It is important because of the relation between "I" and "We" in the work. There is an "I" in the Philosophical Investigations, but the unit of analysis is the "we" of language-games. The "I" exists as a product of the language-games the person has traveled through. Some of these games are incommensurable (religion and science, as examples). The starting point for a unique "I" is a "we" of a form of life or language-game. But these games and/or forms must have a start in time. They require a founder or, perhaps, a group of founders. Does Wittgenstein account for the historical origin of language-games? He has been taken to task for the ahistorical, purely synchronic, character of his examination of language-games. How does a new language-game come about? Can it be an "I"'s creation? Or do new language-games and forms of life emerge from the overlap of pre-constituted games? I am thinking about a hybrid sport that emerges from two distinct games.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home