5.26.2002

I take your point (5/22) regarding the non-inevitability of a particular political structure; by analogy to evolutionary biology, we could think of this view as "Gouldian," in the sense that it emphasizes contingency & rejects teleology. In these days of the fading American hegemon--fading even as it reaches a crescendo--this will be a very unpopular view. So, I don't know my way around--never have--but I keep scribbling maps & lists of landmarks in the sand & on these scraps of paper in my pockets. This obsessive activity is, more than anything else, what sets me apart from my fellow-citizens. Further thought: you seem to be saying that even what we think of under the heading of Politics is historically contingent & the same for that other capital P: Philosophy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home