3.21.2002

"There are as many logics as there are language games" you say, summarizing Wittgenstein & I agree; except, don't the logics all share the quality or attribute of being a logic? I keep making arguments that are shaped like Klein bottles. That's the way I've thought about phenomenal reality since that bus ride between Bellingham & Seattle I mentioned a while back--as an infinite closed surface always turning back on itself. About the same time as my bus ride I remember pointing out to my students that definitions of beauty vary markedly from culture to culture, but that all cultures seem to have some notion of beauty. In the present discussion, this turn of mind leads me to my notion that there are many different logics, but that all of them have something in common--something perhaps unnameable, something that can only be indicated, pointed to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home