6.02.2002

[39] Excalibur: Interesting choice, this word. The sword to which this name belongs is imaginary, or at least legendary; therefore, I would think, its existence is assured. It cannot be broken down into its parts, except by an act of imagination, let's say a literary act. Its name can never be "nonsense," unless perhaps all references to it fade from the cultural tradition. So what is going on in 39? I admit to being confused. If names must refer to "simples," then what is simple? Can't every object be reduced? The only names, in this case, would be the elements of the Periodic Table.

This: Many years ago I wrote a love poem, "The Second Person as Muse," that contains these lines:

Even after they got the thing
shut off, I didn't want to sleep. I wanted to ride
with the cops, get a look at better accidents than this
paltry one . . .


In the poem, I was describing being awakened by a burglar alarm going off in a florist shop on the ground floor of my apartment building. Standard free verse practice is to place important words at the ends of lines. I still like these lines because I used the alterative pair thing / this to good effect. This may not be a name, as W says, but it is a crucial marker of an indicative act that is closely related to ostensive naming.

Well, I worked in the yard a lot today. That's enough hard thinking for this evening. To quote an old Monty Python skit, "My brain HURTS!" (I think Ludwig would have loved Monty Python. A pity they didn't overlap.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home